Lifehacker.co.in respects users’ rights to privacy and personal integrity and processes personal information in a fair and lawful manner. We collect only such personal information which is needed to provide services and we will not collect, use or disclose such information other than for purposes stated in this Policy and in accordance with our Terms and Conditions and applicable law.
As part of our commitment to ensure transparency in the processing of personal information, we are providing this Policy to inform you how we handle your personal information as a user or visitor of the site as well as the rights and/or choices that you have regarding your information.
Please read this Policy carefully. By using this website, you are representing to us that you have read this Policy and consent to be bound by it.
If our business or privacy practices change, we may update this Policy to incorporate any change regarding how we deal with personal information. We may also update this policy to comply with any privacy and data protection regulations or legal requirements that we are subject to. We will do our best to inform you of any such changes including where practicable via the email address you provided to us. The updated version of this Policy will be posted on the publicly accessible page of the Site.
How We Collect Information
Lifehacker.co.in does not require submission of personal information as condition for use or access of service. You can visit and browse the site without submitting any personal information such as your name, address, email address or telephone number.
We may however collect certain personal information if you choose to subscribe to our newsletter or if you contact us via email or contact form on the site. If you send us a message via the website’s contact form, we may require you to provide your name and email address.
We may also obtain any such personal information that you choose to include in the content of your message. If you subscribe to our newsletter, we will collect and store your email address and use it to send news about products, offers and/or giveaways that we provide or ideas, tips on how to organize your home or office space.
When you visit the site, we may collect non-personal information such as your browser type and version, date of visit, pages or products viewed on the site, the internet address (IP address) used to access the site as well information about the type and operating system of the device used to access the site. This information may be collected using cookies, page tags, web server logging and/or similar technologies.
The type of personal information we collect will vary depending on the nature of your dealings with us. We only collect personal information that we need for our business activities, or which is volunteered to us. In general, the type of personal information we collect and hold could include (but is not limited to) your name, address (postal and email), contact details, geographic location (including your suburb or post code), gender, date of birth, activity, photograph, payment details, drivers licence (where necessary to verify your identity) and transaction details relating to your use of our products and services and any preferences you tell us about. We may collect your personal information over the internet, over the phone, when you write to us, when you attend or call in to an event or program run by us or when you participate in a survey, questionnaire, competition or other marketing campaign run by us or our partners.
In order to access some of our services and products, you will be asked to register with us by providing us with certain information about you which we refer to as your account. As part of creating your account, you may also be requested to provide questions and secret answers, which we use to help verify your identity and assist in resetting your password, as well as an alternate e-mail address.
How will we use or disclose your information
Generally, we only use or disclose personal information for the primary purpose for which we have collected it, or for another related secondary purpose, unless you have provided your consent for us to use it for another purpose. We may use or disclose your personal information for the following primary purposes:
- Contacting you because you have requested to be part of a news story;
- operating and improving our websites, products and services;
- providing you with news and information about our products and services (including newsletters, product surveys and special offers);
- providing you with more effective customer service;
- enabling us to conduct customer research;
- to conduct a credit check of your business as part of setting up a corporate credit account;
- making our websites, services or products easier to use by eliminating the need for you to repeatedly enter the same information;
- allowing you to access protected parts of our websites;
- performing research and analysis aimed at improving our products, services and technologies;
- sending marketing and promotional material about our products and/or services that we believe you may be interested in;
- for recruitment purposes, where you have shared personal information with us as part of a job application;
- conducting competitions or promotions either ourselves or by selected third parties;
- verifying your identity;
- to allow you to sign in or otherwise access products and/or services owned by us;
- communicating with you, including by email, mail or telephone.
- sharing with our employees, Related Bodies Corporate, partners, contractors or external service providers to fulfil any of these purposes; or
- using personal information as otherwise required or permitted by any law.
Other information, including anonymous data collected via your interaction with our websites and third party sites (where we provide website analytics tools or deliver advertisements) using technologies such as cookies and web beacons (described below) may be sold or otherwise provided by us to third parties including our partners, clients and service providers for purposes including (but not limited to) data-matching, campaign analysis, selling aggregated anonymous data via advertising exchanges, conducting launch surveys, and modelling.
We do not generally collect sensitive information as that term is used in the Privacy Act (including information relating to your racial or ethnic origin, membership of political bodies, religion or trade unions, sexual preferences or activities, criminal record, state of health or medical history). If we hold any sensitive personal information about you, that information will only be used and disclosed by us if you have consented to such use and disclosure (your provision of that information will be taken to be consent), and will only be used and disclosed for the purpose that it was provided by you.
What Marketing Communications Will You Receive?
In certain contexts when we collect information from you, you may be asked to “opt in” to consent to us using or disclosing your personal information. For example, you may be asked to opt-in to receive further information or communications from our advertisers and partners. We do not provide your personal information to other organisations for the purpose of direct marketing unless expressly authorised by you.
If you receive communications from us that you believe have been sent to you other than in accordance with this policy, or in breach of any law, please contact us using the details provided below.
Opting Out / Unsubscribing
If you receive communications purporting to be connected with us or our services that you believe have been sent to you other than in accordance with this policy, or in breach of any law, please contact us.
Security and Management of Your Information
We understand that the security of your personal information is important. It is our policy to ensure that all employees understand and take reasonable steps to keep personal information secure. Once collected, we may hold your personal information in a number of different formats, including (but not limited to) software programs (located both onsite and offsite, including in the cloud), databases, filing systems, in offsite backup storage and in other similar technology. We take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, unauthorised access, modification, disclosure, interference or other misuse.
We also impose strict requirements of security and confidentiality on all third parties as to how they store, handle and deal with personal information.
Cookies and Tracking Technologies Notice
Cookies contain information that can later be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you. We use the following types of cookies and other similar tracking technologies:
- Strictly necessary cookies: These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that allow you to sign in and use our services and remember you when you sign in to secure areas of our website.
- Analytics cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our websites. Some of the tools we use only provide us with information about trends and aggregate user behaviour. Other tools we use enable us to see how each visitor engaged with our website. For example, we will be able to see what you clicked on and how you navigated through our websites. We use this information to better understand how our visitors use our websites, so that we may make the necessary improvements to enhance our visitors’ experience in the future. We do not attempt to identify you with this information.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our services and to allow us to personalise our content for you, for example, by remembering your preferences.
- Advertising cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the content and advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We also use this information to determine the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose. We also permit advertisers to embed their own cookies in advertisements on our websites. Generally, advertisers will embed cookies in advertisements to monitor the performance of their advertising campaign, but they may also collect anonymous usage data relating to browsing activity on our network.
- Social media cookies. We use these cookies when you connect and share our content and information using a social media sharing button or “like” button on our website to keep track of the way end-customers engage with and share our content. The social network will record that you have done this. This information may be linked to targeting/advertising activities.
Our websites may also contain electronic images known as “web beacons” – sometimes called single-pixel gifs – that may be used to assist in delivering cookies on our sites and allow us to count users who have visited those pages and to deliver co-branded services. We may use web beacons to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon, or from third parties in order to help us compile aggregated statistics regarding the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns or other operations. We prohibit web beacons on our websites from being used by third parties to collect or access your personal information. We may work with other companies that advertise with us to place their web beacons on our websites in order to allow us to gather statistics and better target advertisements
All the third parties that we work with are globally reputed brands and have their internal policies regarding the collection of personal information and tracking technologies. We believe that the third parties act in a just and fair manner however we do not have any control over such third paties.
Display of Advertisements
Many of the websites and services we offer are supported by advertising. We may display advertisements on our websites and the sites of our advertising partners. When we display online advertisements to you, we will place cookies on your computer in order to recognise your computer each time we display an advertisement. The cookies we use for advertising have an expiry date of no more than two years. We are able to compile information over time about where you, or others who are using your computer, saw and/or clicked on the advertisements we display. We use this information to make predictions about your characteristics, interests or preferences and to display targeted advertisements that we believe may be of interest to you. We may also associate this information with your visit, purchase or other activity on participating advertiser’s websites in order to display targeted advertisements or to determine the effectiveness of the advertisements.
Your advertising choices
When we display interest based advertising, we take a number of steps designed to protect your privacy. Page views, clicks and search terms used for ad targeting are stored separately from your contact information or other data that directly identifies you. We use interest based advertising to make the ads you see on our network more relevant to you. Online advertisements on our websites are served by ad servers and exchanges. These companies may offer you a way to opt in or opt-out of ad targeting based on their cookies.
Access To Personal Information
You have the right to request access to the personal information which we hold about you. If you wish to exercise your right to seek access to the personal information that we hold about you, we ask that you contact us at.
We will endeavour to acknowledge your request for access within 15 days, and to provide you with access within 30 days of the date of receipt of your request. We will notify you if we consider it will take longer than 30 days to provide you with access. If you seek access to records held by us which are not current records, we will need to contact you to discuss your request, it may take a longer period of time to locate these records and that we may charge you a nominal administrative fee for the cost of providing access. If we are not legally required to provide access to the personal information requested and we exercise our discretion not to provide that information, we will let you know our reasons for doing so
Changes to your information
We endeavour to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. You have the right to ask us to correct information about you which is inaccurate, incomplete, out of date, not relevant or misleading.
Procedure for Data Breaches
We do all we can to ensure your data is collected, used and held securely. If at any time we become aware of unauthorised access to or disclosure of personal information held by us and this is likely to result in serious harm to any individual to whom the information relates we will follow the applicable data breach notification requirements including to notify the individual involved and the relevant regulator.
EU and Californian Residents
If you are based in the European Union or California, there are specific regulations that apply in relation to the collection, processing and storing of your personal information by organisations covered by those regulations. To the extent that those regulations apply to any personal information we collect, process, disclose or store about you, we will comply with those regulations.
Please note: We do not develop, target or direct our Websites, products or services towards individuals, including children, situated outside India. We do not knowingly collect personal information about children under 16 years of age. If you believe a child in your care has provided us with personal information or data and you would like to request us to look into removing the data from our servers, please contact us.